Monday, April 22, 2013

17. sometimes, we get a rejection letter.

Recently, I applied to be a Chick-Fil-A Franchise Operator. Not a manager, but a real owner. All they require is a $5,000 investment, surviving about 100 interviews with higher-ups, and then they give you the rest  of the funds to build, own and operate the franchise.

I thought, "This should be easy, I like leading people. How hard can it be to hire a few people, learn some rules and then get a franchise running?" The best part was how confident I was submitting the application. It is a bunch of "fill in your name, address, phone number" kind of stuff, accompanied by a few "yes" or "no" questions. "Have you committed a felony?",  "NO! I am clearly qualified for this," I thought.  There was only one space to brag about yourself on this interview: when they ask you about relevant experience. Now, I had done my research and I knew what they were looking for: entrepreneur, financially responsible, someone who would just own one business at a time, faith, loves people, etcetera. I was GOLDEN, just like those delicious chicken nuggets!

Once I got to the relevant experience question, I had to decide which leadership role to use. Sometimes people aren't very excited about hiring people who have been in sororities, so I didn't include that leadership role. There were other random Kansas State University leadership roles, but even those I didn't want to include. I mentioned them of course, but the one I really focused on was my middle school young ladies "Small Group Director" leadership experience. From many angles it sounds like a small business, so I went with it. I submitted the application and thought, "This is GOOD!" I knew I was going to own a Chick-Fil-A Franchise, simply because how crazy it sounded. I prayed before I sent in the application and off it went into cyber space. 

A few minutes later, I got a call from Atlanta... Chick-Fil-A headquarters. My heart was pounding and I thought, "An interview?? ALREADY? I just submitted my application 17 seconds ago! What am I going to say? I haven't owned a business.. what was I thinking!?!?" Regardless, I picked up the phone. Meredith was on the other line, asking me about my application. Turns out there had been a glitch and it wasn't submitted properly. I had to try again. 

So, I did. And then I waited. No phone call this time. The next day went by, and less than 24 hours later I got an e-mail from Chick-Fil-A. Here it is:





















Needless to say, I didn't get the job. The funny thing is: I was convinced that it was mine. Even more so, I was convinced that this was God's plan for me because it played to my strengths and talents, despite how outlandish it sounded. I prayed for direction and I certainly got it. 

This helps me to trust God more. He guides me on the right path, and when I get off track, He sends me a rejection letter. Don't think God isn't looking out for you because your plans aren't working out. Sometimes, that's the greatest sign that He is in fact looking out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment