Friday, February 8, 2013

15. bigger and better


"Cast all your anxiety on Him for He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

Saturday, January 25 2013: 
First full (weekend) class at Fuller Theological Seminary.

08:30am
I know no one.
Joining conversations here and there, but nothing meaningful comes out of it.
Time for introductions: Man explains how he works with homeless veterans in his spare time. Woman is writing a book. Professor is reading Aramaic but speaking in English. Translations happening at lightening speed.
Feeling alone.
Thinking about man who ministers to homeless vets.
Must write book soon.

12:00
Lunchtime approaches, my husband is due to arrive any moment to sweep me off my feet.
Lonely feelings will subside after his arrival.
He calls.
He has good reason, but will not meet me for lunch.

12:05
Herds of people practically skipping over to eat lunch together.
Big group that I’m not in.
I’m alone.
Tears.

12:15
Pei-Wei, Dan Dan noodles. YUM.
Feeling better.
So many noodles to keep me company. 

12:20
Prayer: "Jesus, please give me friends. It would be ideal if they would just come to me but if I can talk to them, please just give me the opportunity, I feel so alone."

1:05
Arrive back at class.
Man next to me introduces himself.
He’s a high school teacher.
Wants to be more educated.

2:00
Break time.
Get to know another classmate.
Deacon at church, daughter is 22.
Nice guy.

3:00
Driving home in gratitude because God answered my prayer, and quickly.

I gleaned so much wisdom from this day in class but here's just a little snippet:

First, we can be a little exclusive. I notice that about myself. I'll be in a big group, where I feel like I know a lot of people and even though I might notice a new person, I'm not exactly rushing over to make them feel comfortable. I am grateful that this happened to me and I got to experience that feeling of being totally alone. I don't think my classmates were trying to be exclusive, they were just comfortable. Of course new people are responsible for reaching out on their own, but you have an opportunity to make a difference. This isn't about responsibility, it's about opportunity. 

Secondly, Jesus is so good to me. Did you read my prayer?? He gave me what I thought was "ideal." Like Bob Goff says, with Jesus it's always a game of "bigger and better." As in, I give Him my little piece of trust and He gave me friends, a bigger and better sense of belonging.  

Be approachable, and trust God. Let Him be sweet to you, and you be sweet to others. 
Exclusivity is so out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment