Wednesday, January 16, 2013

13. He gives us rest, and i'm feeling pretty tired.

Have you ever worked to the point of exhaustion to figure out a crossword puzzle? There is always at least one unknown answer that is preventing you from filling in all the rest. In fact, it can get so bad that you're sweating profusely, exasperated, and preventing anyone from speaking to you until the puzzle is complete (I've never done this, of course). So, out of desperation and the need to revive communication with people around you, you take a little peek at the key just to get that "one" word filled in and continue on without the frustration of failed attempts (and failed relationships). 

I feel this way in life when struggle or chaos shows up, "If only I could have that one little hint of how to get on with it and save myself the frustration, my life would be so much better." Well, I can hold my sweat and exasperation because as I was in prayer this morning, this verse popped into my head; it was spoken by Jesus:

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30).

The reference notes in my Bible teach that a yoke is a "heavy wooden harness that fits over the shoulders of an ox or oxen. It is attached to a piece of equipment that the oxen are to pull."
Oxen & yoke. Isn't it interesting that Jesus gave THIS analogy?
The yoke sits right on their shoulders.. interesting. 
Do you see what Jesus is offering us? He is offering to take all of our problems and troubles upon Himself. And not only does He want to take them, but He says He will give us REST. I love rest!!

You don't have to panic as if your life depended on peeking at the answer key. He already has given us the key in the verse: Go to Him. Go to Him in prayer, curl up in His lap and tell Him about your burdens. Release them to His control. If He guarantees our rest, why do we cling to our problems and try to fix them ourselves? Why do we wriggle and fester in despair when there is an easier way out and a guarantee for rest? 

The one word that is preventing you from finishing your crossword puzzle: surrender

Thank you Jesus for offering us rest for our souls. I am sad that we don't take you up on it more often. You are waiting, arms open, for us to send our struggles your way; yet we resist. Please help us to overcome ourselves to we can find rest for our souls. Please help us to be people who honor You. 
In Your saving name we pray, Amen. 

1 comment: