Monday, November 5, 2012

6. joy is simply a matter of remembering

This morning I woke up with a simple prayer, "God, please help me to experience joy today." One precious thing I have learned over the past year is that joy is not like happiness. You see, happiness can be thwarted, shaken, circumstantial. Let's say you walk into the Post Office and see that there is a line of at least 400 people, and oh.. ONE person working. GREAT! You're unhappy. Maybe that's just me. Anyways, circumstantial. But I want to tell you something important: Joy is not circumstantial like happiness. In fact, Paul tells us in Philippians 4: 11-13 we can have joy in all circumstances. (He uses the word "content.")

"... for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need."

I read that at first and thought, "Well Paul was in prison so maybe he was losing his mind because he actually thought that was possible." I know, bad on me. But it's honest. I thought, PAUL WAS CRAZY! 

But the truth is, Paul wasn't crazy. If we believe that The Bible is God's inspired word, as I do, then we must believe that this is an attainable truth. I know, the groans set in and we regurgitate from the core of our beings a pathetic little "hhhhhooow?" Don't worry, Paul has an answer for that too. If you're like me, you speed read through the text and find the answer as quickly as you can as if your heart will explode any second and you're looking for the magic words to prevent the inevitable catastrophe.

Read a little further, at whichever pace you so choose, and He says this: "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me."

The answer to this contentment or joy: Jesus. Jesus. Jesus. Just typing His name makes me feel better. 

I KNOW this truth. I've READ those verses. I have the answer to perfect joy pinned on the map as a place I've visited many times. I know where to find it. So why did I wake up this morning and ask for it again? Because we forget, don't we? My goodness, we are so forgetful! But no need to fear, all you have to do is whisper these words "God, please help me to experience Your joy today." That's what I did, and less than 10 minutes later, I saw this in my quiet time (from Jesus Calling, Sarah Young).

"Don't let your well-being depend on your circumstances. Instead, connect your joy to My precious promises. I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go." 

Thank you Jesus for answered prayer. You are sweet to me.

Joy comes from the presence of God, which is always with us. We find that reminder in His promises. Want joy? Remember Jesus. Remember that He loves you, wants to know you, is always with you.

That's it. 

Remember that and go be joyful. Remember that He answers prayer. Remember that when you walk into a room Christ is already there.  


Remember. 


Hanging out with Jesus this morning. (Jesus Calling, Sarah Young).

"Heavenly Father, I pray for those that read this message. I pray that they be filled with your undeniable joy. I pray that they know you and will believe your promises. If your promises have not yet been revealed to them, I pray that you do so now. I pray that they will be still and know You are God. I pray in Jesus' precious name because there is no way to You except through Him. Thank you for being Big even though we are small. Amen."


No comments:

Post a Comment